We’re on a mission to help protect marine ecosystems and the people who rely upon them. Our oceans are under immense stress due to illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, climate change, and biosecurity threats presented by global shipping. On top of this, some seafarers face human rights abuses closely associated with illegal fishing on the high seas.
Yes, it’s a big mission. And we need your help to progress it, as we take Starboard to the world.
About Xerra, our parent company
Xerra is a research-based SaaS company that turns Earth observation research and data into applications that help governments, non-governmental organisations and industry be good stewards of the environment entrusted to us all.
About Starboard™, what we’re building
We’re building Starboard (https://starboard.nz), a maritime domain awareness platform. Starboard helps civilian government agencies and environmentally-focused organisations monitor and protect their maritime domain by turning large and complex datasets from multiple sources into intuitive and insightful software for analysts. It helps nations address issues such as illegal fishing, biosecurity risks, and preventing Covid-19 outbreaks via vessels.
What you’ll be doing
In your role at Xerra you’ll be a part of the team developing the Starboard platform, helping to design, develop and implement features.
This will include:
- Working with software engineers, product designers and data scientists to design and implement features;
- Building complex UI components to help customers navigate vast amounts of spatial and temporal data;
- Creating prototypes to rapidly test ideas and techniques;
- Influencing Starboard’s future direction by contributing ideas, providing feedback, and evaluating feasibility;
- Performing code reviews and quality assurance testing;
- Staying abreast of technological developments and actively teaching and learning from colleagues; and
- Participate in an operations duty rotation, responding to user support requests and critical systems issues.
The type of skills, experience and attitude we are looking for
We do our best work when our multidisciplinary team comes together to tackle complex challenges that couldn’t be solved alone. As such we’re looking for someone who enjoys collaborating with others to achieve collective goals.
Additionally, we are looking for someone who has some or all of the following:
- In-depth experience with a frontend framework such as React, Angular or Vue (we use React 17.0+ & Redux);
- Experience working with designers and backend engineers as part of a product team;
- Comfortable in a Linux command line environment (ssh, bash, git etc);
- An understanding of security and tools like the OWASP Top 10.
- Willing to work on tasks outside of their specialist area when needed; and
- Is respectful and ethical in everything they do.
About the Xerra team
We believe that to build a great company and tackle complex problems, we need a broad range of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are a fully remote organisation with team members dispersed throughout Aotearoa and Australia. We consist of research scientists with specialties in remote sensing, radar and space systems, data scientists, software engineers, designers, marketers and business development and support people. We are collaborative and supportive by nature and necessity—software and science are both hard, and combining the two successfully requires teamwork, empathy and a willingness to listen and understand other people’s points of view. We are looking for people with these attributes to join us.
Why work with us?
Aside from the engaging, impactful work you’ll be doing with talented people we offer these benefits:
- Fully remote with flexible working hours: need to dash out and pick the kids up from school? Need to go mountain biking while the sun is shining? You live in NZ but Greenwich mean time is your preferred time zone? It’s up to you where you work and how you structure your day, providing you’re able to engage with the team for meetings, discussions and problem solving, to get the work done.
- Get set up comfortably: we want to be set up well while working from home, so we’ll help you get sorted with a desk, chair and other equipment you might need to do your job. You can also choose your own workstation (Mac, Windows or Linux).
- Team catch-ups: three times a year we gather together in different locations around Aotearoa (recently in Raglan and Dunedin, and soon in Alexandra, Nelson and Martinbrough) to discuss our direction, work on any issues and generally hang out.
- Competitive remuneration package.