We believe in a sustainable future through the power of science, which means we are focused on conducting research and developing products that help us look after our planet, not harm it.
We use Earth observation data and remote sensing technologies to develop new and applied science-based products for New Zealand industry, local and national governments, as well as the international market.
We’re a collaborative and multidisciplinary team made up of research scientists, software engineers, designers, and business-minded people. We are a passionate, purpose-driven organisation, building outstanding and effective products in a safe and fun, but hardworking environment.
We believe that to build a great company and tackle complex problems, we need a broad range of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds. We invest in our team, support one another, and intentionally make time for open conversations. We want to identify our blind spots, and that requires a steady integration of new perspectives.
Our primary focus is developing Starboard, a SaaS maritime domain awareness tool.
Starboard helps civilian government agencies and environmentally-focused organisations monitor and protect their maritime domain by turning large and complex datasets from multiple sources into intuitive and insightful software for analysts. It helps nations address issues such as illegal fishing, biosecurity risks, and preventing Covid-19 outbreaks via vessels.
This is a full-time, backend engineering position, which plays an important role in helping grow Starboard into a successful SaaS product.
Our team members are spread throughout Aotearoa, and as such, this is a fully remote position. You will have the opportunity to work flexible hours, provided you are able to deliver on your primary accountabilities and attend meetings within regular working hours, as needed.
We do our best work when we direct the skills of many on our team towards single complex challenges. As such you’ll likely work with nearly everyone on the team at some stage.
You will need to be able to learn quickly and be curious about systems software, databases and making software work at scale.
As a team, we share responsibility for the whole product lifecycle: design, implementation, testing/review, deployment and operations. When needed, we work on tasks outside of our specialist areas, and you need to be willing to contribute as required.
You’ll be working within our small and dedicated product team — moving fast and working independently. To thrive in this role, you need to excel in a remote working environment while demonstrating a high level of integrity.
This Senior Software Engineer position has important duties and responsibilities to fulfil. In this role you will be expected to:
- Develop robust, usable, elegant responsive code;
- Collaborate on multiple projects with other members of the product team;
- Perform code reviews and quality assurance testing;
- Participate in an operations duty rotation, responding to user support requests and critical systems issues; and
- Stay abreast of technology developments and actively teach and learn from colleagues.
Primarily, we want someone who produces great work and gets the job done. As this is a senior role within the development team, we are also seeking:
Essential Knowledge, Competencies and Skills
- Extensive knowledge of server-side coding and databases — we use Python, Go & Postgres running on Linux.
- Extensive knowledge of GraphQL and/or REST APIs;
- Extensive experience in software testing — unit & integration testing; and
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas both verbally and by other means (presentations, proposals, bug reports, forum discussions, etc).
Desired Knowledge, Competencies and Skills
- Familiarity working with GIS (geographic information system) data and applications;
- Experience setting up and operating scalable architecture with Kubernetes-like systems;
- Experience with site reliability engineering — measurement, handling failures and automating operations;
- Experience working with large (TBs) datasets;
- Experience building shipped products that meet the needs of end-users;
- Degree in computer science or related field.